CAMP MANSFIELD 2020 Update
Camp Mansfield has been cancelled for the remainder of the summer. We were hopeful that camp would run but due to low enrollment we were not able to. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to see you next summer! Stay safe!
We make happy campers!
Camp Mansfield will look a little different this summer. Staff are working hard to be able to provide a safe and fun environment for campers. Due to COVID-19, pick up and drop off will look different as well as daily activities.
Registration is open. Sign up now!
Please review the information below that was sent out.
Dear Camp Mansfield Families,
Our staff have been working hard on our developing procedures, guidelines and lesson plans to include additional health and safety precautions that are required by the state and local health officials, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and CT Office of Early Childhood (OEC). As a result, Camp Mansfield will look a little different this year but we are pleased to offer children an opportunity to spend time outdoors and engage in a healthy social, recreational, and educational experience! As we continue to adjust our schedules, camps, and program flow to support the new rules and guidelines, we are happy to announce a modified version of our traditional camp experience for children Grades 1 -8 starting Monday, June 29.
In an effort to ensure the safest environment for our children and staff, and to meet mandates passed down by the OEC, there will be several changes to the camp experience. Please see our “Staying Safe at Camp: What to Expect” Handout and a summary of the camp changes as well as basic care information to be implemented below:
Changes to the Program
Adventurers (grades 7&8). No field trips or overnights for adventurers due to protocols. Should this change over the summer, we will let you know. Adventurers will participate in regular camp activities and some extended hikes on grounds and neighboring town parks within walking distance. The fee will be adjusted to be the same rate as the Explorers campers (209.00 per session for residents, 219.00 for non-residents)
Counselor-In-Training program is canceled
Camp Care (before and after camp care) is canceled
Session 1 is canceled (June 24-June 26)
A minimum of 34 campers must be enrolled each session to hold a camp session.
All half day options for specialty camps are canceled
Please check HERE for a full list of canceled and/or modified specialty camps
Some of the same health and safety changes will be implemented at our specialty camps also. Please visit www.mansfieldcc.com for continued updates.
Camper Sign-in & Sign-Out
Two step process – all mandatory health screening will be conducted in vehicle, then the camper guardian will park in designated parking area, and walk the camper to their specified group area to be signed in
Only staff, members, registered participants and guardians (if deemed necessary by staff) will be permitted into the camp facility
Campers will not come in contact with other groups at sign-in/sign-out, or during the day
There will not be a mini-session camp June 24-26
The first one week camp session will run June 29-July 3 and conclude with session 7 the week of August 10-14
All campers must be preregistered and have completed registration and health forms on file
No walk up registrations will be permitted. No rolling registrations during the camp season will be permitted. Registrations for each session must be completed by the Wednesday in advance of the next session
Unfortunately Camp Care (before and after camp extended care) cannot be offered this year. Camp hours are 9:00am-3:00pm
Camp groups will be limited to no more than 10 campers. When indoors, groups/pods of 10 will be assigned their own room space.
Before being permitted into the camp area for the day, all staff and children will be screened using a touchless thermometer for any observable illness and to confirm a temperature below 100.4 Fahrenheit prior to entry every day as well as completing a quick and easy verbal questionnaire
A Camp Nurse will be employed during all camp hours
Camp screening stations will open in advance of the start of camp to provide enough time for campers to arrive.
Staff and campers will be required to maintain physical/social distancing within their group/pod of 10 as much as feasible. Each group/pod of 10 will be considered as one but social distancing will be encouraged as feasible. Campers will not be able to be in less than 14’ of contact with other pods
Wearing of a face mask will be required for all camp staff and recommended for campers
Campers will only be permitted to come in contact with other campers in their group/pod of 10 campers and their counselor and/or specialist
Intensified Cleaning & Disinfecting
Intensified and frequent cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces and shared spaces (restrooms) will occur multiple times per day and between each use for shared objects.
In addition to on-site bathrooms at the school and at the pond, outdoor portable hand sanitizing stations and/or soap and water will be readily available to campers and staff. All camper hand sanitizing and hand washing will be encouraged and supervised
Camp staff will carry a supply of hand sanitizer in their waist pack for easy access and use for campers and self during the day
In addition to our traditional orientation and training, all camp staff will be required to attend a training specific to COVID-19 health and safety regulations mandated by local, state and national health agencies before working at camp.
Staff patterns will minimize the movement of staff among groups
Arts & Crafts
Canoeing & Kayaking
Sports & Games
Nature & Science Experiments
Free swim & Swim Education Program
Campers will also participate in camp songs and creative games!
Detailed information regarding drop off/pickups, camp activities, and health and safety will be made available in a revised parent handbook made available after June 15
General Camp Information
- Camp Mansfield is a traditional outdoor summer day camp with a wide variety of activities for campers in grades 1st - 9th grade.
- Camp Mansfield is held on the grounds of Mansfield Middle School, Schoolhouse Brook Park and Bicentennial Pond.
- Activities include archery, arts and crafts, canoeing/kayaking, creative games, nature/environmental activities, sports, science, free swim and camp songs.
- Weekly themes, wacky Wednesdays. An example of a Wacky Wednesday would be dress up like your favorite pirate or princess during Pirates and Princess’s week.
- Campers are separated into groups based on the grade they will be entering in the fall.
- Camp runs Monday – Friday from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. rain or shine.
- 4 daily lunch choices are included in the camp fee for full day campers.
- Our staff are former campers, high school students, college students and recreational professionals.
- We have a camp nurse on site daily from 9am - 3pm.
- Camp staff are certified in First Aid, CPR and AED through the American Red Cross.
- Camp staff are certified in Blood Borne Pathogens and epipen and inhaler administration.
- Camp staff is also required to attend pre-camp trainings on topics including child development, safety, positive disciplining, leadership and teamwork.
- Camp staff is required to attend General Covid Training.
- Our camper to staff ratio varies by age group and specific group needs or dynamics. Ratios begin at 1:5 and do not exceed 1:10.
- At camp our counselors rotate their groups between the different specialists. The specialists are an additional staff member per group during their activity. While campers are swimming there are lifeguards on duty at Bicentennial Pond
Camp Mansfield will be 7, one week sessions. Dates for camp are June 29-August 14, 2020.
(June 24th - June 26th mini-session was cancelled this summer)
- Session 2: June 29-July 3, Stars & Stripes Week!
- Session 3: July 6-July 10, Pirates & Princesses Week!
- Session 4: July 13-July 17, Shark Week!
- Session 5: July 20-July 24, Superhero Week!
- Session 6: July 27-July 31, Jurassic Park Week!
- Session 7: August 3-August 7, Olympic Week!
- Session 8: August 10-August 14, Carnival Week!
Description and Fees
KinderCamp (Grade K, 1/2 day and full day) - Canceled this summer. Counselor in Training Program - Canceled this summer.
Explorers (Grades 1-6) - Our main camp group runs Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-3 p.m. for children entering grades 1-6. Activities include sports and games, nature, canoeing/kayaking, swimming, archery and arts & crafts.
Weeks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Resident Rate: $209 Non-Resident Rate: $219
Adventurers (Grades 7-9)
Children entering grades 7–9. Campers participate in the same activities listed under “Explorers." Daily lunch is provided. *Please note that there will not be trips this summer. Advents will be on-site at camp.
Weeks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Resident Rate: $209 Non-Resident Rate: $219
Campers with Special Needs—campers who require additional support or adaptations will participate inclusively within their same age/grade. Special assistance forms must be completed a minimum of 15 working days prior to the start of a new session (forms available online).