Information for this Section:
- Hurricane Katrinia was the costliest storm in U.S. history. The storm cost $108 billion in damage.
- When Zane describes himself on the bridge, he says he’s many things. Can you comment on what it means to give yourself more than one descriptive label?
- On page 170, what do you think Zane means when he says “You wouldn’t think that tragedy can be turned into comedy, but it can.”?
- When you finish reading, are there any differences in how you think about family now, from before you read this story?
- Remind students there are other books by this author.
- Hurricane Katrina displaced over one million Louisiana residents -- an estimated 277,000 did not come back to resettle. View this Interactive map that shows where people were relocated.
- A bug-out bag is a portable kit that contains items to survive for seventy-two hours when evacuating from a disaster, have students participate in this interactive activity to create a bag.
- Here is a survey about this year's OSOR (click here). You may either complete this as a group or students may complete it individually. Please return surveys to the LMC.