This year's OSOR book is a realistic fiction read. Here is one definition of realistic fiction:
Realistic fiction is a genre consisting of stories that could have actually occurred to people in a believable setting. These stories resemble real life, and fictional characters within these stories react similarly to real people. Stories that are classified as realistic fiction may have plots that highlight social or personal events or issues that mirror contemporary life. They depict our world and our society.
Characteristics of Realistic Fiction:
- Realistic fiction stories tend to take place in the present or recent past
- Characters are involved in events that could happen
- Characters live in places that could be or are real
- The characters seem like real people with real issues solved in a realistic way (so say goodbye to stories containing vampires, sorcerers, dragons, zombies, etc.)
- The events portrayed in realistic fiction encourage a reader to think about questions they could face in everyday life.
Summary of the story:
Zane Dupree is a twelve-year-old boy of mixed race who lives with his mother in New Hampshire and seldom thinks about his dead father because “you can’t miss someone you never knew.” But when his mother tracks down Zane’s father’s grandmother, “Miss Trissy,” living in New Orleans, she thinks it’s time for him to visit her. Zane and his beloved dog, Bandit, have been in the city’s Ninth Ward just long enough to hear stories about Zane’s father when Hurricane Katrina hits. As they are evacuating, Zane and Bandit are unexpectedly separated from the rest of the family. The two remain trapped in an attic until they are rescued by Trudell Manning, an elderly musician, and Malvina, a young girl whose mother is in drug rehab. The group encounters cruel bigotry and heroic kindness as they struggle to survive in a flooded city that has descended into chaos.
Other young adult books by Rodman Philbrick:
- THE BIG DARK (2016)
- ZANE AND THE HURRICANE,
- THE MOSTLY TRUE ADVENTURES OF HOMER P. FIGG (2009)
- THE YOUNG MAN AND THE SEA (2003)
- THE JOURNAL OF DOUGLAS ALLEN DEEDS (2002)
- REM WORLD (2002)
- REM WORLD (2000)
- THE LAST BOOK IN THE UNIVERSE (2000)
- MAX THE MIGHTY (1998)
- THE FIRE PONY (1996)
- FREAK THE MIGHTY (1993)