Congratulations! Here are some things you need to know about getting married in the State of Connecticut:
- In order to be married, you must first obtain a marriage license in the Town where the marriage ceremony will be performed (the State of Connecticut requires a ceremony).
- Both parties must come in to sign the license.
- The license is good for 65 days from the date of issuance.
- Persons under eighteen must have a parent's signature and those under 16 require a parent's signature and the signature of the Judge of Probate of the town of residence.
- The fee for the license is $50.00.
- The person who legally performs the wedding ceremony signs and returns the license to the Town Clerk's office after the ceremony.
- Certified copies of the license can be obtained for $20.00 each. The original license remains stored in the Town Hall vault.