Merry Mansfield: Support Our Community
Mansfield is a caring community, and there are many ways to show support for those in need now and throughout the year.
The Town of Mansfield Human Services Department is collecting gift cards for local families in need as part of their Holiday Wishes Gift Card Drive. Gift card donations provide families the opportunity to personally select items that best suit the needs of family members. For the donor, purchasing a gift card from a local business is a chance to have double the positive impact in our community.
If you would like to contribute, gift cards or monetary donations can be mailed to:
Town of Mansfield Human Services Dept., "Holiday Wishes" Program, 303 Maple Road, Storrs, CT 06268
Help Connecticut children sleep comfortably this winter by donating a new, unused pair of pj's to Oliver's Pajama Project!
You can drop off your pajama donation at the Mansfield Public Library's main branch (54 Warrenville Road) or at the Library Express (23 Royce Circle, in the Nash-Zimmer Transportation Center) anytime before December 13.
Oliver’s Pajama Project started when Oliver was in pre-school and is now in its 6th year.
Oliver’s goal this year is to collect 6,500 pairs of complete pajama sets (tops and bottoms or onesies) for newborns through kids 18 years of age in need throughout our state. Pajamas to donate should be new and unused and can be for any size from infant through adult 3XL.
Read more about Oliver’s Pajama Project here.
On Saturday, December 4, you can get some holiday shopping done while supporting a good cause at the Christmas Bazaar at Storrs Congregational Church (2 North Eagleville Road)! This safe, masked, and distanced public event is a fundraiser to benefit the Windham Region No Freeze Project’s services to those homeless or experiencing housing insecurity this winter.
From 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM on Saturday, you can find:
- Lunch - Soups-to-Go
- Quilted & Fabric Gifts
- SERRV/Homemade Global Gifts
- Seasonal Holiday Tag and Gifts
- Holiday Plants
- Bake Sale
- Silent Auction
- Centerpieces with Fresh Greens; Pecans; Bulk Fresh Greens and Berries
- Pre-ordered and day-of wreaths and Handmade Sprays
- And more vendors!
If you cannot make it on Saturday, there will be a chance to peruse the "Best of the Rest" on Sunday, Dec. 5 from 8:30 AM to noon.
Donations for Wilcox & Reynolds' Holiday Toy & Food Drive can be dropped off at their office during regular business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM).
Donations of toys for kids of all ages and non-perishable food items are welcome. Covenant Soup Kitchen has a particular need for the following items:
- No added sodium/low sodium, no added sugar/low sugar, and low fat/saturated fat food items of all kinds - healthier options are greatly appreciated by guests with chronic health conditions.
- Tomato sauce, pasta/marinara sauce, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes
- Single serve snacks and desserts
- Single serve items like: soups, fruit cups, yogurts, cereals, trail mix, granola bars, puddings, etc.
- Baked beans
- Hearty soups, stews, chilis
- Boxed/shelf stable milk and milk alternatives
- Canned and dried fruit
- Single serve drinks of any kind
- Personal care items (shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant for men and women)
- Canned meats, pasta meals, proteins
- Baby wipes and diapers for children, sizes 5, 6 and 7 in greatest demand
- Adult incontinence / bladder control products of all sizes
- Warm coats and boots, gently used is perfectly okay, all sizes needed
- Dog food, cat food, cat litter so the furry friends of their families can stay healthy during difficult times too!
Please see Covenant Soup Kitchen's website for updates to their "wish list" as needs change and donations are received.
The next time you stop at G. M. Thompson & Sons (54 Middle Turnpike) to pick up some pet supplies or one of their famous grinders, be sure to check out their Giving Tree in support of local animal rescue organizations.
The tree is decorated with ornaments listing wish items from the organizations. Select your ornament and purchase the item from Thompson's. They'll take care of delivering the items to the rescues.
Monetary donations and gift purchases can also be made over the phone (860.429.9377) if you prefer to maintain a safe social distance.
This year's program will benefit:
- Scotland Hill Stables (Scotland)
- Whispering Brook Farm & Art Studio (Tolland)
- Camp Care Therapeutic Riding Program (Columbia)
Help give a local family in need a little joy this holiday season, and maybe win some joy for yourself! Tiffany B Beauty (6 Storrs Road, the Key Bank building) is collecting new, unwrapped toys to donate to Windham Area Interfaith Ministry (WAIM). When you bring your donation between now and December 17, you will be entered to win a $75.00 gift card!
Donated gifts will be given to children in need and stored in "Megan's Place," a room at WAIM in honor of Megan, a former student of Horace W Porter School in Columbia.
If you are not a current client or need a time outside your appointment time, you can text Tiffany at 860.655.0929 to arrange a drop-off time.
We want to hear from you!
If your Mansfield-located business or community organization has plans for a celebration, special event, charitable campaign, sale, seasonal offering, or promotion occurring between November 20 and New Year's Day, let us know!
We will include only events, etc. that are open to the public (e.g. no members' only events) and that will take place in Mansfield, CT.
There is no fee to be included in "Merry Mansfield" - we just need your info!
Please click here to submit your information.
If you have any questions, please contact the Mansfield Downtown Partnership (please call 860.429.2740 or email us).