July 26, 2022
2 Dog Lane
Storrs-Mansfield, CT 06268
Summer Concerts on the Square: The Lost Tribe
Tuesday, July 26, 2022
Enjoy free concerts on Betsy Paterson Square in Downtown Storrs every Thursday in June and July!
The Mansfield Downtown Partnership is excited to announce the return of its popular Summer Concerts on the Square!
After a two-year pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the series will begin again on Thursday, June 2. Enjoy free, live music every Thursday in June and July on the Jeffrey P. Ossen Family Foundation Pavilion on Betsy Paterson Square in Downtown Storrs.
TUESDAY, JULY 26: THE LOST TRIBE
The Lost Tribe is a drum-centered Afro-funk fusion ensemble, led by percussionist Jocelyn Pleasant. As a traditional percussionist and drum kit player, Pleasant wanted to create a group that showcased the drum as a lead instrument and melodic voice. Her goal was also to provide a platform for musicians of different but overlapping communities to come together. She started the group in 2016, with the goal of infusing the djembe ensemble into African Diasporic music like jazz, rock, blues, and reggae.
In addition to its core members, Lost Tribe performances often include various special guests that reflect the large talent pool of their community. Regardless of the line-up, the staples of a Tribe performance are energy, stage presence and GROOVE. They have opened for international acts Mokoomba (of Zimbabwe), and Trio da Kali (of Mali), were a featured artist at the 2018 Greater Hartford Festival of Jazz, and won first place at the 2019 Valley Music Showcase (of Western Massachusetts).
Their eclectic collection of music is available on Bandcamp and streaming platforms, including the EPs Diaspora and WLCT Radio, as well as two singles released in 2020, “Say Their Names” and “Diaspora Sing.”
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS:
The Summer Concerts on the Square are made possible with the generous support from our sponsors:
- The Summer Concerts on the Square are free and open to everyone!
- You are welcome to bring a blanket or a lawn chair, some snacks or take-out from your favorite downtown restaurant, and your friends!
- NO alcohol or tobacco products (including all vaping) are allowed on the Square. Town of Mansfield ordinances are in place and enforced.
DIRECTIONS & PARKING:
- The rain date for each concert is the following Tuesday. Follow us at @DowntownStorrs on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for weather updates and other news
- Please contact the Mansfield Downtown Partnership (860.429.2740, firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions about the Summer Concerts on the Square or Downtown Storrs.