How Do I Apply for an Inland Wetlands License?

In accordance with the Town of Mansfield’s Inland Wetlands and Watercourse Regulations, an application for an inland wetlands license must be obtained when a regulated activity is conducted in or within 150 feet of a wetland or watercourse. 

Apply for an Inland Wetlands by following this linkThe Inland Wetlands Agent will work with you to determine which type of application is needed for your project.  

  • Inland Wetlands-Agent Applications- Reviewed by the inland Wetlands Agent, agent applications are for smaller projects that have no or minimal impact on a wetland (e.g. shed, deck, or a single family dwelling).  
  • Inland Wetlands-IWA Applications- Reviewed by the Inland Wetlands Agency (IWA), these applications are for larger activities that may have greater than minimal impact on the wetlands or watercourses.  

A site plan must be submitted for all applications detailing the location of the proposed activity.  Download sketch map/site plan guidelines by following this link.  

IWA Application Requirements
In addition to a site plan, IWA applicants must:

  1. Notify abutting property owners. Anyone whose property immediately borders the property where the activity is occurring (including those across the street) must be notified via certified mail with return receipt requested. 
  2. Complete the Statewide Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Activity Reporting Form. For question six you will need to use the USGS Quadrangle and Sub-Regional Drainage Basin map. The completed form must submitted with your application. 
  3. If the proposed activity is within the public water supply, notify the Windham Water Works and the Connecticut Department of Public Health within seven (7) days of submitting your application.
  4. Upload PDFs of all application materials to the online permitting portal.
  5. Submit 2 full-sized plans, 15-11"x 17" sized plans and 2 hard copies of reports with the  associated fee.  

Other important information

  • Your application materials must be submitted three (3) business days prior to the IWA meeting in order for your application materials to be including in the IWA agenda packet.
  • All Inland Wetlands-IWA applications are referred to the Conservation Commission for review.
  • The Agency will conduct a publicly noticed field trip to the site to review existing conditions and location of proposed activity. The applicant or a representative should be present to explain the proposal and answer questions.
  • Once an application is received, and if no public hearing is required, then the IWA has 65 days to render a decision.

Contact Jennifer Kaufman, Senior Planner/Inland Wetlands Agent at 860-429-3335 or with questions.

Links and Resources
Town of Mansfield Permitting Guide
Citizen’s Guide To Participating in the Municipal Regulation Of Inland Wetlands and Watercourses
2002 Connecticut Guidelines for Soil Erosion and Sediment Control
CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
Connecticut Association of Conservation and Inland Wetlands Commissions

Show All Answers

1. How Do I Apply for an Inland Wetlands License?
2. What are the zoning permit requirements for residential accessory structures (sheds, pools, greenhouses, etc.)?
3. Can I have an accessory dwelling unit?
4. How many unrelated adults can live in a dwelling unit?