Marriage Licenses

Congratulations!  Here are some things you need to know about getting married in the State of Connecticut:

  • In order to be married, you must first obtain a marriage license in the Town where the marriage ceremony will be performed. 
    • The State of Connecticut requires a ceremony.  Please contact a local Justice of the Peace or legal officiant to marry you.  (Connecticut Town Clerks are not permitted to perform this function.)
  • Both parties must appear in person and present identification such as a valid government issued photo ID.  (Please start your license online!  See below for a link to our online worksheet.)
  • The license is good for 65 days from the date of issuance.
  • The minimum age to marry in the State of Connecticut is 18.
  • The fee for the license is $50.00.
  • The person who legally performs the wedding ceremony signs and returns the license to the Town Clerk’s office after the ceremony.
  • Certified copies of the license can be obtained for $20.00 each. The original license remains stored in the Town Hall vault.

Marriage License Worksheet

To request a marriage license, please use our online submission process to fill out the Marriage License Worksheet, which will electronically submit it to the Town Clerk’s Office.  This will save you time and expedite the process of obtaining your license when you come in person to the Clerk’s Office.  

IMPORTANT-  Please Read!:

  • The information entered by you and your partner is the information that will appear printed on your marriage license.
    • Check your details!  Use your full, legal names (no nicknames), check your dates and spelling.
    • Be prepared to give your social security information to the clerks when you call to make your appointment to appear in person for issuance(see below).
  • The applicant couple is responsible for submitting the worksheet electronically and then calling the Clerk's Office to make an appointment to appear in person.  Please call 860.429.3302 ext. 4 to make your appointment and obtain your marriage license.  

Find a local Justice of the Peace

Connecticut Marriage Laws